Good News for Hawaii Interisland Travel: a negative COVID-19 Test Will Allow Visitors to Skip Hawaii's 14-Day Quarantine in Maui and Kauai. Travelers could, for example, first stay at the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island with a pre-travel test on the mainland U.S., then get tested again in order to visit the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea without being quarantined. Note that arrivals to the Big Island of Hawaii will take a 2nd COVID-19 test, even if they have a negative result from a pre-travel test.
Hawaii Governor Ige announced that passengers arriving in Kauai and Maui wanting to avoid the mandatory 14-day inter-island quarantine must have taken an FDA-authorized Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from the certified CLIA lab of a State of Hawaii trusted testing and travel partner within the 72 hours prior to departure and received a negative test result.
Anyone who has not tested negative with a pre-travel test from a trusted testing or travel partner will be required to quarantine for 14 days, in the absence of an authorized exemption from the county they are traveling to.
All tests conducted in the state of Hawaii require an order by a licensed physician or healthcare provider.
Here are the 8 approved testing partners at time of writing:
- Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii
- CVS Health (Longs Drugs) Appointments may be scheduled up to two days in advance at select CVS Pharmacy drive-thru locations. Tests are available for ages 12 and older.
- Hawaiʻi Pacific Health – Testing available at Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children on Oahu and Wilcox Medical Center on Kauai in partnership with Clinical Labs of Hawaii. Appointments required at Kapi‘olani and must be scheduled online at clinicallabs.com/covid. No appointment necessary at Wilcox.
- Kaiser Permanente (for members only) – Kaiser Permanente members may schedule a test online or contact the appointment call center or nurse advice line in their home region for scheduling instructions. Kaiser Permanente members returning home to Hawaii may call the Away-from-Home Travel Line at 951-268-3900 for scheduling instructions.
- Minit Medical – Three clinics on Maui with drive-up testing available. Appointment required. More information at 808-667-6161.
- Urgent Care Hawaii – Tests available with online registration at ucarehi.com. Results emailed within 24 hours. Limited walk-ins can be accommodated. More information at 808-797-7980.
- Walgreens – Testing available at no cost to eligible individuals who meet CDC criteria. Tests available for ages five and older. All drive-thru testing locations operate outdoors and patients do not leave their vehicles. Appointment required. There are 4 Walgreen locations on Maui, in Lahaina, Kahului and Wailuku (2 locations) but none on Kauai.
- Vault Health – At-home FDA-authorized saliva tests with real-time Zoom video supervision. Tests available for ages five and older. Tests results mailed in 72 hours or less. More information at learn.vaulthealth.com/state-of-Hawaii.
Overall, due to the more limited testing options on Kauai, for those who hope to visit both Maui and Kauai, we'd recommend Maui first, then Kauai.
As we've mentioned in prior posts, Vault Health could still be an option for inter-island travel if you're ok with the possibility of a day or so in quarantine, since sending a Vault test to the mainland from Hawaii is expected to take a couple days even with the prepaid expedited envelope. Vault aims to provide test results within 24 hours of having received the saliva sample, if the lab receives it on a Monday-Thursday, so a result could arrive within 72 hours, depending on when the package is mailed (expect longer times when mailing it Thursday-Sunday).
Are you planning to visit Hawaii and include inter-island travel (with a negative COVID-19 test) to Maui and Kauai?
Private Suite at LAX Complimentary to Four Seasons Hawaii Suite Guests
Big Island of Hawaii Requires 2nd COVID-19 Test on Arrival
Four Seasons Lanai: Complimentary Lanai Air and Fifth Night Free
Top 10 Best Golf Resorts in Hawaii and the Caribbean
If you enjoyed this, join 200,000+ readers: follow TravelSort on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be alerted to new posts.
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube and TravelSort on Instagram for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits
If i have a negative Covid-19 test 72 hours prior to my flight to Kauai then spend 7 nights there and want to go to Maui next – does that mean i need another test to avoid quarantine ?
Susan, yes, exactly. Your pre-travel negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of your flight to Kauai suffices for Kauai, but you’ll need another negative COVID-19 PCR test from one of the approved partners above, taken within the 72 hours prior to your flight, in order to fly to Maui. If visiting Oahu from Maui, Kauai or another neighbor island, currently you do not need a COVID-19 test (although of course you would need the pre-travel test if arriving on Oahu from the mainland U.S.)