Alaska Airlines' Hawaii Pre-Clear Allows COVID-19 Negative Passengers to Avoid Lines and Screening on Arrival in Hawaii. Hawaii-bound Alaska Air passengers with an approved negative COVID-19 test will be able to pre-clear Hawaii's airport screening at their West Coast departure gate, making the program the first of its kind.
- Anchorage to Maui pre-clearance begins December 12, 2020
- Pre-clear for all flights to Honolulu begins December 14, 2020
- Pre-clear for all flights to Kona begins December 14, 2020.
- Guests may be selected for mandatory secondary COVID testing (free of charge)
Hawaii reopened October 15, 2020, allowing travelers who took a COVID-19 test within the 72 hours prior to travel and tested negative to skip the mandatory 14-day quarantine. The issue for many arrivals, even those who have tested negative, has been the long lines on arrival at Honolulu Airport HNL, and to a lesser extent at Kahului Airport OGG on Maui and Kona Airport KOA on the Big Island.
Alaska Airlines worked with the state on its pre-clear program, enabling passengers who have met Hawaii's Safe Travels requirements prior to check-in to avoid additional screening upon arrival at Hawaii’s airports.
Alaska Airlines piloted the Hawaii Pre-Clear program over the past week with flights to Maui. Starting the week of December 14, 2020, the program will be available for all flights to Honolulu HNL and Kona KOA. Since Kauai has opted out of Hawaii's Safe Travels program and all travelers to Kauai are required to quarantine for 14 days, Alaska Airlines flights to Lihue have been suspended.
Alaska Airlines passengers will receive an email prior to departure inviting them to participate in the Hawaii Pre-Clear program:
- Each adult traveler must have a Hawaii Safe Travels profile
- All flight and accommodation details must be included
- Negative COVID-19 test results from a Hawaii trusted testing partner must have been uploaded in PDF format
- Mandatory travel health questionnaire must have been completed.
If the above requirements are met, the passenger will be pre-cleared and receive a pre-clear wristband at check-in or at the departure gate.
See Alaska's Hawaii Pre-Clear page.
Hawaii COVID-19 Testing Update
Kauai Opts Out of Hawaii Safe Travels Program
Four Seasons Hualalai Renovation
Hawaii: Japanese Will be First International Visitors to Skip Quarantine via Pre-Travel Testing
If you enjoyed this, join 200,000+ readers: follow TravelSort on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be alerted to new posts.
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube and TravelSort on Instagram for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits