Hawaii Will Reopen October 15 to Visitors with a Negative COVID-19 Test That Allows Them to Skip the 14-Day Quarantine. Previously, the state was to reopen 9/1/20, but Hawaii delayed reopening until October following the surge in locally transmitted coronavirus cases. Governor Ige announced the new 10/15/20 reopening plan as the state's stay at home order has gradually reduced the spike in coronavirus cases, although the interisland quarantine for anyone arriving on any island other than Oahu remains in place. Here are the details of what to expect:
- To avoid Hawaii's mandatory 14-day quarantine, travelers must have a negative result from a COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to their flight's arrival in Hawaii (not 72 hours prior to boarding the flight)
- The test must be an FDA-approved NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test), in other words a molecular test that detects the genetic material of the virus, processed by a CLIA-certified lab, most commonly PCR
- Current approved testing partners are CVS and Kaiser Permanente
- Travelers will upload their negative test results to travel.hawaii.gov where they will also complete their travel and health forms
- All travelers will also be temperature checked on arrival
Can Travelers Unable to Get Pre-Tested Prior to Arriving in Hawaii Be Tested at the Airport?
No, there is no option to test on arrival. Such travelers will face a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
What If a Traveler Gets Tested Prior to Arrival But Doesn't Receive the Results Prior to Arrival in Hawaii?
Anyone who arrives in Hawaii without a negative test result must quarantine. If a negative result arrives while in quarantine, it can be uploaded to the travel.hawaii.gov site, and after the state emails a confirmation that the traveler has been released from quarantine, the visitor will be able to leave his/her hotel room.
Do Kids Need to Be Tested?
Yes, ALL visitors need to take a qualifying COVID-19 test and have a negative test result in order to avoid the quarantine.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits