Buy Alaska Miles with a 50% Bonus between November 14-December 23, 2022. While this isn't as generous as a past targeted offer for a 60% bonus, it can still be a good deal, particularly these days, when JAL Business Class roundtrip from the U.S. to Japan can easily run over $10,000 per person. Note that after you factor in the bonus, you'll be paying 1.97 cents per mile. That's not cheap, but it's also more challenging to earn Alaska miles unless you're a frequent flyer on Alaska Airlines or put significant spend on Alaska Airlines credit cards, since Mileage Plan doesn't partner with the major bank points (Ultimate Rewards, AMEX Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou points).
- To buy Mileage Plan miles with the 50% bonus, go to the Alaska Buy Miles page, where you'll need to login with your Alaska Mileage Plan account.
- You must buy at least 30,000 miles to qualify for the 50% bonus miles
- Mileage Plan members may buy a maximum of 100,000 miles and there's a maximum of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com that may be credited to your Mileage Plan account in a calendar year.
- Elites (MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member accounts) may purchase or be gifted any number of miles during the year.
- Deadline for the up to 50% bonus: 11:59 PM PST December 23, 2022
- Since the transaction is processed by Points.com, it's not possible to earn any category bonuses on the transaction.
- All miles purchases are non-refundable
Great Way to Fly to Japan
As mentioned above, one of our favorite uses of Alaska Mileage Plan miles is JAL Business Class to or from Japan. And currently, there's some great award space during 2023. We particularly recommend visiting Japan from late March-early June, but we'd avoid the summer months unless you're venturing further north, to Hokkaido, as summer tends to be hot and humid. See our Top 10 Japan Luxury Hotel Offers 2022-2023 for where to stay.
Other good bets are Air Tahiti Nui Business Class to French Polynesia (stay at the Four Seasons Bora Bora) or Aer Lingus Business Class to Dublin, if you can find elusive availability for 60,000 miles one way (much of the availability is at a ridiculous 280K miles rate, so don't book that).
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits