Starwood Hotels will offer free WiFi for all SPG Members starting February 2, 2015, and this benefit combines with Starwood Luxury Privileges.
This is great news for all SPG members, especially for those who stay at Starwood hotels sometimes, but not frequently enough to have elite status, and don't want to pay the steep annual fee for a card such as the AMEX Platinum, which includes SPG Gold status.
Here are the details:
- Starting February 2, 2015, an active SPG Member booking an eligible rate for an SPG participating hotel through the Starwood Web site, SPG app or travel professional will receive complimentary in-room Internet access during the stay
- Bookings made by phone or any other channel do not qualify
- Access is to standard in-room Internet access
The great news is that this new free Internet benefit combines with Starwood Luxury Privileges benefits, which are VIP benefits only available if you book through TravelSort or another Starwood Luxury Privileges member travel agency. Benefits typically include:
- Upgrade based on availability
- Daily breakfast (typically full American or buffet breakfast, but occasionally continental)
- Early check-in if available
- Late check-out if available
- Hotel-specific welcome amenity or hotel credit, up to $100 or so in value, once per stay
Even SPG Platinums come out ahead by booking with Starwood Luxury Privileges, since they receive a hotel-specific amenity typically worth $100 that they wouldn't otherwise get, all while still earning Starpoints and elite bonus points.
When Are Regular SPG Members (Non-Elites) Eligible for Free Internet / WiFi?
Starting on February 2, 2015, any SPG member who booked via a Starwood Web site or SPG App or through a travel professional is eligible for free in-room Internet during his/he stay.
How About SPG Gold and SPG Platinum Members–Do They Receive Any Additional Benefit?
SPG Gold and SPG Platinum members receive free premium Internet if the Starwood hotel offers it. For SPG Gold members, this means they don't have to select Internet as their amenity; they get an amenity in addition to free Premium Internet.
Can a Regular Non-Elite SPG Member Pay Extra to Get Premium Internet?
Typically yes–check with the hotel for the additional fee required for premium Internet.
Need Award Booking Help? Our fee is as low as $75 per ticket if you book your hotel through us.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book Your Hotel with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred VIP Amenities!