The Mauna Lani Reopened This January 2020 After a $200 Million Renovation, as an Auberge Resort. The Big Island resort is about a 25-30 minute drive north from Kona Airport (KOA), and about a 20 minute drive from Four Seasons Hualalai.
The original resort dates to 1983, and was closed from October 2018 for 14 months for an extensive renovation of the guest rooms and suites, by NYC-based designer Meyer Davis.
New resort additions include a family pool and an infinity pool that is adults only, in addition to the existing resort pool.
The resort's iconic Canoe House Restaurant was also redesigned, and HaLani Restaurant is the resort's more casual breakfast and dinner restaurant. Light bites are available at Ha Bar, The Market, and Surf Shack.
TravelSort Clients can enjoy these Virtuoso benefits:
- One Category Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability (upgrade is from room to room or suite to suite; upgrade does not apply to Bungalows).
- Daily buffet breakfast for up to two guests per bedroom, in HaLani Restaurant.
- $100 USD Resort Credit for Dining, Spa or Golf per stay to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
- Complimentary Wi-Fi already included in the resort fee
There's also a Mauna Lani Journey Reopening Offer:
- Receive a $250 daily resort credit on resort experiences, dining, spa and golf
- Combinable with Virtuoso benefits
- Requires a minimum stay of 4 nights or more in an Ocean View Room or higher category, up to an Ocean Front Signature One Bedroom.
I'll be visiting the resort later this year, and will have more of a perspective on the resort afterwards, but I suspect that due to the number of rooms and suites (333) it will rely on quite a bit of group and incentive business, which isn't necessarily great for individual travelers. Of course, resorts such as Four Seasons Hualalai also have group business, and I advise trying to avoid a stay during a PGA golf event or other major group booking. But Hualalai has 243 rooms and suites, 90 fewer than Mauna Lani, and they aren't in a tower; they're spread out around the resort in 2-story bungalows, which lends a more boutique feel to Hualalai. Interestingly, ex-Four Seasons Oahu at Ko Olina GM Sanjiv Hulugalle is the General Manager at Mauna Lani.
If you've stayed at the newly reopened Mauna Lani Resort on the Big Island of Hawaii, what was your experience?
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits