The Royal Scotsman, Belmond's luxury train, will offer two new Grand Suites on its two to seven night journeys starting in May 2024. The Grand Suites, designed by Tristan Auer, each comprise private living area, bedroom with a luxurious double bed, and private en suite bathroom. The decor evokes an upscale country manor with rich wood paneling, sophisticated tweeds, and tartans in green, gray and blue hues.
Royal Scotsman journeys, all starting and ending at Edinburgh's Waverley Station, include:
- Taste of the Highlands (2 nights): Cairngorms National Park, a visit to Rothiemurchus Estate, a private tour of Culloden Battlefield, and a trip to the Strathisla Distillery
- Western Scenic Wonders (3 nights): iconic sights such as Glenfinnan Viaduct, Fort William, an excursion to Morar Sands, a choice between a visit to Glenfinnan Monument or a walk through Nevis Gorge to the cascading Steall Waterfall, and a guided tour of Mount Stuart on the Isle of Bute
- Scotch Malt Whisky Tour (4 nights): Includes views of Loch Luichart, the Torridon Mountains and the Cairngorms National Park, as well as a private tour of the Benromach distillery, a visit to Rothiemurchus Estate, and a specialist single-cask whisky tasting with your Whisky Ambassador.
- Scotland's Classic Splendors (4 nights): One of the most scenic routes in the UK, take in views of Plockton, Kyle of Lochalsh, Boat of Garten, and Dundee. Enjoy a private visit to Ballindalloch Castle, a choice of country pursuits at Rothiemurchus Estate, guided tour of Glamis Castle, a seal-watching boat trip and a visit to Blair Athol Distillery
- Clans, Castles, and Isles (5 nights): Admire the rolling hills of Perthshire, the dramatic valleys of the Highlands and the stunning views of Ben Nevis on this intriguing exploration of Scotland through the ages. Be treated to a visit of the Oban distillery, a guided tour of Duart Castle and a day trip to Drumlanrig Castle.
- Grand Western Scenic Wonders, Northbound (7 nights): This journey is perfect for discovering the many wonders of the Highlands at a more leisurely pace. Enjoy an excursion to Morar Sands, a choice between a visit to Glenfinnan Monument or a walk through Nevis Gorge to the cascading Steall Waterfall, a guided tour of Mount Stuart and of the Royal Yacht Britannia in Edinburgh. Explore Ballindalloch Castle and get active at Rothiemurchus estate, finishing your tour with a visit to Glamis castle.
- Grand Western Scenic Wonders, Westbound (7 nights): Soak up breathtaking landscapes, from Ben Nevis to Inverness, capital of the Highlands. You'll be treated to an excursion to Ballindalloch Castle, the Rothiemurchus estate and Glamis castle followed by a visit to the Royal Yacht Britannia in Edinburgh. Later, stroll along the beach at the Silver Sands of Morar, opt between a visit to Glenfinnan Monument or a walk through Nevis Gorge to the cascading Steall Waterfall, finishing your tour with a guided tour of Mount Stuart in the Isle of Bute
Where to Stay in Scotland Before or After a Royal Scotsman Journey
In Edinburgh, our top pick is one of the castle view suites at The Balmoral, where our clients enjoy Rocco Forte Knights benefits. Just an hour away in Auchterarder we recommend Gleneagles, in one of the one or two bedroom Whisky Suites. Skibo Castle in Dornoch, a members-only club, is superb if you're a member or a guest of one.
TravelSort Clients enjoy Belmond Bellini Club benefits: a $100 per person on board credit, as well as a $500 gift voucher on a different future Belmond experience.
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits