Updated 10/28/21: The Cayman Islands' Phase 4, with no quarantine for fully vaccinated visitors, will start November 20, 2021 instead of the previous 10/14/21 date that was in the original plan.
Updated 9/27/21: Phase 3 travel requirements have been updated. Fully vaccinated visitors need to quarantine for 7 days instead of 5 days, due to local COVID-19 community transmission rates.
The Cayman Islands Will Have a Phased Reopening, with Phase 3 contingent on reaching an 80% vaccination rate among Cayman residents. Most Caribbean destinations have reopened due to their high dependence on tourism (albeit with pre-travel testing in many cases, and for Anguilla, with visitors required to be vaccinated). The Cayman Islands has taken a different paty, however, and been closed to tourists since March 2020. It's also one of the destinations ranked by the CDC as Level 1, with low levels of COVID-19, and many days see zero new cases. We have clients that in pre-pandemic times visit Grand Cayman annually to stay at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman, so the reopening is exciting news, though of course it's possible that the dates will get pushed back should there be a rise in cases.
Phase 1 (Currently in effect)
- Borders are open to returning citizens, residents, work permit holders, others with close ties to the Cayman Islands, and those traveling for medical purposes
- Pre-Arrival COVID-19 PCR test required for all, arrival PCR no longer required
- Quarantine period of 5 days available for those with verifiable vaccinations, 10 days quarantine period for unverified vaccinations and 14 days quarantine period for unvaccinated travelers
Phase 2 (from August 9, 2021)
- Borders open only for citizens, residents et al. as in Phase 1
- Pre-Arrival COVID-19 PCR required for all, arrival PCR no longer required
- Removal of GPS monitoring for those eligible for 5-day quarantine, but still mandatory for everyone not eligible for 5-day quarantine
Phase 3 (from September 9, 2021, if 80%+ of Population is Vaccinated)
- Only if local population achieves an 80% vaccination rate, borders will reopen to verified vaccinated travelers through a CIAA slot management system that will manage flight volume
- All travelers still required to apply on Travel Cayman Portal
- Quarantine period of 7 days (updated from 5 days; see update) available for those with verifiable vaccinations, 10 days quarantine period for unverified vaccinations and 14 days quarantine period for unvaccinated travelers
Phase 4 (from November 20, 2021; updated from previous plan)
- Quarantine requirements removed for all securely vaccinated travelers
- Unvaccinated travelers must still apply via Travel Cayman Portal
Phase 5 (date TBD)
- Unvaccinated children under age 12 allowed to travel with vaccinated adult tourists
- Cruises still prohibited
Phase 6 (first assessed by January 27, 2022)
- All travelers, vaccinated and unvaccinated permitted
- No PCR testing or quarantine
- Cruise tourism allowed to resume
If you've visited the Cayman Islands, what was your experience?
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits