Air Italy Liquidating, Ceasing Operations

Air Italy Liquidating, Ceasing Operations

Air Italy Will Liquidate and Stop Flying, after less than 2 years of operations. Flights until February 25 will be operated by other carriers, and passengers on flights until February 25 also have the option to seek a refund. Passengers on flights after February 25 will be either protected on flights with other carriers or fully refunded, per Air Italy, due to the “difficult and structurally difficult market conditions.”

Qatar Airways holds a 49% stake in Air Italy, and due to EU regulations, could not further increase its stake in the airline. The other 51% stake, held by Aga Khan's Alisarda SpA, was unwilling to continue incurring losses, which amounted to 200 million euros in 2019 and 160 million euros in 2018.

It's a shame to see the carrier go under, as Air Italy A330 Business Class, while not quite completely flat bed, was nearly so, and one of the few business class awards with decent availability from the West Coast, LAX and SFO.

If you're holding tickets purchased from Air Italy directly, contact the airline for a refund or to reconfirm you're protected on another carrier for flights until February 25, 2020.

Holding an Air Italy award booked with British Airways Avios? It's not yet possible for British Airways Executive Club to waive the cancellation fee, as it's waiting for communication from Air Italy, which should be forthcoming over the next few days.

Did you fly Air Italy before the suspension of service?

Recommended Posts

Top 10: Best Ways to Fly Business Class to Europe with Miles and Points

Top 10 Italy Luxury Hotel Offers 2020

Qatar Airways Qsuites 777 Review Doha to LAX

Review: Park Hyatt Milan

If you enjoyed this, join 200,000+ readers: follow TravelSort on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be alerted to new posts.

Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube and TravelSort on Instagram for travel inspiration.

Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits

Share This:

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

avatar