A 50K United MileagePlus Explorer with $100 statement credit bonus offer is available, but is it worth using up one of your Chase 5/24 slots? Here's are the offer terms and how to see it:
- Earn 50,000 United MileagePlus bonus miles after you spend $3000 on purchases in the first 3 months of card membership
- Earn a $100 statement credit after first purchase
- Earn 5000 bonus miles after adding an authorized user and making a purchase in the first 3 months of card membership
- Earn 2 United MileagePlus miles per dollar spent on tickets purchased from United
- No foreign transaction fees
- Free first checked bag for you and one companion traveling on the same reservation when you include your United MileagePlus number and purchase the reservation with your United MileagePlus Explorer card
- Priority boarding for you and companions on the same reservation
- 2 United Club passes each card anniversary
- $95 annual fee is waived the first year
You can view this offer by starting a reservation, either paid or using MileagePlus miles, at United.com. You should see the offer in the upper right hand corner:
After clicking on it, you'll be prompted to login using your United MileagePlus number and password.
Does This Offer Count Against Chase 5/24?
Yes: the Chase 5/24 rule applies to both the personal Chase United MileagePlus Explorer and the business Chase United MileagePlus Explorer. If you have opened 5 or more new credit cards that have been reported the credit bureaus (most business credit cards do not count) then Chase will deny your application, even if you would otherwise have qualified for the card and the bonus. The only exception is if you receive a pre-qualified offer that exempts you from Chase 5/24.
If I Don't Have Any Chase Cards Should I Get The United Card First?
If you don't have any Chase cards, I'd recommend first getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve, unless you do so much flying on United that you value the additional card benefits, such as the free first checked bag, priority boarding, and 2 United Club passes.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve earns Ultimate Rewards points, which provide more flexibility as they can be transferred 1:1 not only to United MileagePlus, but also Korean Air SkyPass, Singapore KrisFlyer, British Airways Executive Club, Air France/KLM Flying Blue, and others. I
It also comes with Global Entry reimbursement and Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption insurance, and the Trip Delay insurance kicks in after 6 hours or an overnight stay, as opposed to after 12 hours with the Chase MileagePlus Explorer.
Is It Worth Adding an Authorized User for 5000 Bonus Miles?
Keep in mind that adding an authorized user counts as another card application for that user when it comes to Chase 5/24. So instead of adding your spouse or domestic partner, you may want to add your child or other relative who won't mind using up a precious slot for purposes of Chase 5/24.
Are you planning to apply for this United MileagePlus Explorer offer with $100 statement credit, or are you saving your 5/24 slots for other Chase credit cards?
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits