A 50K-75K Iberia Visa is Available as a new Chase credit card, and I've added it to the Best Travel Credit Cards page. The offer is very similar to the existing British Airways Visa, which is also offering a 50K-75K signup bonus depending on the minimum spend threshold you meet, and also does not waive the $95 annual fee the first year. Here's the offer:
- 50,000 bonus Iberia Avios after $3000 spend within the first 3 months of account opening
- Additional 25,000 bonus Iberia Avios (so total 75K Iberia Avios) after spending $10,000 total on purchases within the first year
- 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Smart Chip Technology
- No foreign transaction fees
- $1000 discount voucher for two roundtrip paid Iberia flights after $30,000 spend within a calendar year
- $95 annual fee is NOT waived for this offer
Iberia Visa Worth It?
It's become challenging it's become to earn new credit card signup bonuses, with Chase 5/24 restrictions on many cards, AMEX signup bonuses once in a lifetime for both personal and business cards, and Citi preventing earning a signup bonus for Citi AAdvantage personal cards if you've opened or closed another AAdvantage personal card of any kind within the past 24 months.
Given this context, it's a boon to have new credit card products such as this new Iberia Visa, which in my view is worth getting for the first year bonus, even if you only earn 50,000 Iberia Avios by meeting the $3000 minimum spend. That's equivalent to buying Iberia Avios at less than a fifth of a cent, an excellent deal.
Whether the 75,000 bonus is worth it depends on how significant your annual credit card spend is; if there's no opportunity cost because you have significant spend that wouldn't otherwise earn category bonuses with other cards or other signup bonuses you'd be eligible for, it could make sense.
For most people, spending $30,000 on the card in a calendar year to earn the $1000 discount voucher code won't make sense unless you just happen to take a lot of paid Iberia flights such that you're earning 3X on much of that spend or really value that $1000 discount. $20,000 is a lot of spend to put on a card if you're not earning a category bonus, and you want to be sure you'll be able to use the discount voucher, given the restrictions (see FAQ below).
Am I Eligible for the Iberia Visa if I Already Have (or Recently Had) the British Airways Visa?
Yes; the good thing about this new Iberia Visa is that it's considered a new product, so everyone is eligible to apply for it, even if you have or have had the British Airways Visa. Of course, once you've had the Iberia Visa, if you close it you won't be eligible for a new signup bonus if you received one for the card within the past 24 months, similar to other Chase cards.
Can I Combine British Airways Avios and Iberia Avios?
Yes, you can, although you'll want to ensure that your names match each other on both your British Airways and Iberia Accounts. You also need to make sure the emails on both accounts match, and you must have earned at least 1 Avios in Iberia Plus and your Iberia Plus account must be at least 3 months old. While you should be able to transfer by combining British Airways Avios directly with Iberia Avios, if you run into any issues, you can always create an Avios.com account and link both your British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus to it, so that you can combine either with the central Avios.com account and from there to the other account.
How Much Does the Iberia Award Chart Charge for Flight Awards?
As with BA, Iberia has a distance-based award chart, with higher rates for peak travel dates. Here are the charts:
Iberia Award Chart, Peak Travel Dates
Iberia Award Chart, Off-Peak
How Does the $1000 Discount on Iberia Flights Work?
Here are the details in a nutshell:
- You only earn the $1000 discount voucher if you spend at least $30,000 on the Iberia Visa in a single calendar year
- Qualifying spend does NOT include balance transfers, cash advances, money orders or similar money equivalents, lottery tickets or similar betting transactions or the annual fee
- The discount voucher code must be redeemed online at iberia.com/Chase10
- The $1000 discount is valid only on paid Iberia flights (not award tickets and not codeshares)
- The discount code must be used for two Iberia roundtrip tickets on the same flights and in the same class of travel
- The cardholder must travel on one of the tickets
- The discount voucher must be on flights that are taken within 1 year of the date of issues
Do you plan to apply for the Iberia Visa?
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits