American Airlines must be getting desperate for flyers–free AAdvantage Platinum Pro status came to me as a targeted mailer the other day. I love AAdvantage miles–that's why my husband and I earned over 400,000 AA miles last year, and purchased another 80,000, with a bonus of 40,000 miles (see How We Earned Nearly 1 Million Miles and Points in 2018 Without Flying). But I can't remember the last time I paid for an American Airlines flight, since the little domestic travel we do is typically on JetBlue, and we use our AAdvantage miles toward awards such as JAL First Class, JAL Business Class, Cathay Pacific First Class, Qatar Qsuites Business Class, etc. The odd AA flight we're on is nearly always incidental, as part of an international flight award.
The AAdvantage Platinum Pro status is any case is only through May 15, 2019, so the most I can potentially see getting from it will be complimentary access to a business class lounge a couple times, when I'm on short oneworld flights in economy and wouldn't normally have lounge access.
For those who travel on AA much more than I do, however, here are the details. Go to AA.com/yourpromotions and login to your AAdvantage account to see if you've been targeted for this offer.
Enjoy free AAdvantage® Platinum Pro status through May 15, 2019.
Keep your status through January 31, 2020, by earning:
- $2,400 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and
- 20,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)
- Qualifying EQDs and EQMs to extend status are earned when you fly on eligible tickets for flights operated by American Airlines or marketed by American, American Eagle, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines between the date you register and May 15, 2019.
- Register by 11:59 p.m. CT on January 25, 2019, for your EQMs and EQDs to count toward this promotion
- Your AAdvantage Platinum Pro status through May 15, 2019, will be valid within 24 hours of registering
- You can only participate in 1 elite-status challenge at a time
- Travel completed before registration doesn’t count toward this challenge
- Eligible tickets include purchased, published fares flown between the date you register and May 15, 2019
- Qualifying eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines or marketed by American, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia or Japan Airlines
- Flights marketed and/or operated by codeshare partners not listed above aren’t eligible for this promotion
- Bonus EQDs and EQMs don’t count toward this offer
- After you reach the required thresholds, your elite-status membership benefits will be extended immediately through January 31, 2020
- You must requalify for elite-status membership annually
- Promotion code: H119T
Benefits of AAdvantage Platinum Pro status include:
- Complimentary upgrades on flights within North America (confirmed as early as 72 hours before departure)
- 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
- Complimentary same-day confirmed flight change
- 2 free checked bags
- Complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra and Preferred seats
- oneworld Sapphire status on partner airlines
Have you received a similar AAdvantage Platinum Pro offer? If you're already AAdvantage Platinum Pro, how often do you receive complimentary upgrades on your North American flights?
American Airlines Now Allows Pre-Boarding for Nut Allergies
How Much Time to Redeposit Miles, Credit Back to Your Account?
JetBlue, American Airlines, Alaska Emotional Support Animal Rules
Flat Bed Business Class to Hawaii: Which Airlines and Award Seats?
If you enjoyed this, join 200,000+ readers: follow TravelSort on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be alerted to new posts.
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube and TravelSort on Instagram for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits