Updated 3/8/21: Etihad has extended its free COVID-19 insurance until October 1, 2021
Etihad Will Offer Free Insurance for COVID-19 Medical Expenses up to EUR 150,000 for all Etihad passengers, matching Emirates' Free Coronavirus Insurance. This is for Etihad tickets on flights through September 2021.
Keep in mind that both Etihad and Emirates Require a Coronavirus Test for All Passengers.
As with the Emirates COVID-19 insurance there are some exclusions, so here are the details:
What Does the Etihad Insurance Cover?
The Etihad insurance covers:
- Medical and hospital costs overseas, if diagnosed with COVID-19, up to EUR 150,000
- Emergency medical repatriation assistance for you, one travel companion, and minor children, back to your country of residence (actual cost, in economy class)
- Accommodation cost for you or one travel companion if you or a companion are required to go into an individual quarantine, up to EUR 100 per day, up to 14 days
- In the event of death, actual cost of repatriating the body
- Funeral costs up to EUR 1500
- Overseas quarantine allowance of EUR 100 per day, up to 14 days
When Does Coverage Start?
Etihad's free coronavirus insurance covers passengers flying Etihad on a flight from September 7-December 31, 2020. The coverage starts 4 hours before you depart on an Etihad ticket and lasts for the sooner of 31 days from the departure of the first flight or return to the home country. In other words, if your trip is 1 week, from November 23-29, 2020, your coverage would end after returning to your home country on November 29, 2020. If, on the other hand, you have a one way ticket from your home country overseas where you're staying 2 months, then another ticket on a different airline back home, you would be covered for the first 31 days of your trip as you're still overseas.
Do Passengers Have to Sign Up for the Free Etihad Insurance?
No, no sign up is needed; all passengers are automatically covered for qualifying trips. As mentioned, no coverage is provided in one's home country (where one resides 180 days or more of the year).
What is Needed to Get Assistance if Diagnosed with COVID-19?
In order to have medical expenses paid for by Etihad, passengers must contact Etihad by phone:
- Tel: +971 4 507-4007 (English) or +971 4 507-4002 (Arabic)
If I Need Urgent Care, Can I Pay and Get Reimbursed?
Unfortunately, no: Etihad will not reimburse any claims; you must contact Etihad COVID-19 Assistance / IPA (Inter Partner Assistance S.A., which provides the assistance on behalf of AXA Insurance Gulf) through the above contact details and have your care coordinated by them, in order to have Etihad cover your medical expenses. When calling, you'll need to have:
- The address and phone number you can be reached at
- The kind of help you need and description of the situation
You'll be given a case number and will need to provide copies of:
- Etihad flight ticket or boarding pass
- Passport, including visa page if applicable
- COVID-19 positive test, dated after the first day of travel (the test cost is NOT covered)
As with all insurance, there are exclusions. Be sure to read the Etihad Airways Travel Cover Terms and Conditions to be aware of them. In particular, some of the travel exclusions mentioned are:
- Travel to a country, specific area or event when a government or regulatory authority in a country to/from which you are traveling has advised against non-essential or all travel, unless such government or authority has provided exceptional permission for such travel
- Traveling to or through Iran, Syria, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, Crimea, Sevastopol
- Cruises are excluded
Since the Emirates COVID-19 travel insurance coverage ends 10/31/20, it's nice to see Etihad match it with similar travel coverage through the end of 2020. The U.S. now has a Level 3 travel advisory, “Reconsider Travel,” down from the previous Level 4 “Do Not Travel,” so for U.S. travelers who aren't involved in essential travel, Etihad coverage eligibility will hinge on the travel advisory of the destination you're traveling to.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits