Cyprus is Reopening to Select European Travelers with a Unique Promise: If they enter Cyprus negative for COVID-19 but test positive while in Cyprus, the Cyprus government will cover the cost of lodging, food, drink and medication. The only cost the traveler will need to cover is the transfer to the airport and repatriation flight.
Admittedly, Cyprus is at least as well known as a tax haven as a vacation destination, but it remains popular among many European visitors, especially those from the UK, Russia, Germany, Greece and Sweden.
Unfortunately for British, Russian and Swedish would-be visitors, presently Cyprus is off limits to them, given their higher prevalence of COVID-19 cases. Here are the countries from which Cyprus is permitting travel, effective June 20, 2020:
Category A Countries: No Restriction
Category B Countries: Must Take PCR Test <72 Hours Prior to Travel
- Czech Republic
Travelers from Category B countries who are unable to take a PCR test prior to traveling due to the lack of testing availability are required to take a test on arrival in Cyprus, which the traveler will pay for (expected cost: ~60 EUR). Results may take up to 24 hours to complete, such that travelers must self-isolate at their reserved accommodation until the test results are received.
The Cyprus Guarantee: Cyprus is So Safe That If You Contract COVID-19 on Cyprus, Your Medical Care, Lodging, Food and Drink Will Be Covered
Cyprus should get full credit for planning its response to the likelihood that at least a few visitors may contract coronavirus on Cyprus, if not from locals, possibly from other visitors, given the long incubation period of COVID-19. Per the Cyprus Government's COVID-19 Destination Protocol:
- The Cyprus government will cover the cost of lodging, food, drink, and medication, in all cases where the traveler subsequently tests positive for COVID-19 while in Cyprus (after a negative test at the airport)
- The only further expenses a traveler who tests positive for COVID-19 will incur are the cost of their airport transfer and repatriation flight, in collaboration with their agent and/or airline.
- COVID-19 positive travelers will be accommodated at a dedicated hospital with 100 beds, exclusively for travelers who test positive, and these can be increased at very short notice if required.
- If travelers show critical symptoms, an additional 112 intensive care units are available for their treatment, with 200 respirators on hand at any time.
- Close contacts of COVID-19 positive travelers will be placed in dedicated quarantine-hotels
Getting to Cyprus
For summer 2020 travel, the best nonstop options for eligible European travelers are:
- Munich MUC or Frankfurt FRA to LCA via Lufthansa on Saturdays
- Vienna VIE to LCA via Austrian Airlines daily
- Geneva GVA to LCA via SWISS on select Thursdays during the summer
- Zurich ZRH to LCA via Edelweiss Air daily July-late October; select dates in June
- Warsaw WAW to LCA via LOT Polish most days except Wednesdays during the summer
Where to Stay in Cyprus
Our top luxury hotel recommendation in Cyprus is Anassa. TravelSort Clients enjoy these Virtuoso benefits:
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Complimentary Continental breakfast for two guests per bedroom daily in room or Buffet Breakfast at Restaurant
- Choice of $100 USD equivalent Food & Beverage credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
OR a complimentary 30 minute massage for up to two people, per room, once during stay
- Early Check-in/Late Check-out, subject to availability
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits