Cathay Pacific is Slashing Routes by 90% to Mainland China, and by 30% Overall. The cutbacks are due to reduced demand caused by the novel coronavirus, on top of already slowing demand resulting from the 2019-2020 protests in Hong Kong.
Here are the impacted routes, all of them between Cathay's Hong Kong hub and the stated destination:
- Adelaide (March 4 – 28): Reduced from 4X to 2X weekly
- Auckland (Feb. 22 – March 28): Selected dates cut entirely or only 1 of 2 daily flights open
- Barcelona (March 1 – 28): Reduced from 4X to 2X weekly
- Brussels (March 1 – 28): Only 1 of 4 weekly available to book
- Cape Town (Feb. 17-28): Cut
- Dubai (Feb. 10 – March 28): Cut from 2X daily to 1 daily (a few Feb. dates still show 2 daily)
- London Gatwick (Feb. 17 – March 28): Cut from 5X-7X weekly to only a handful of dates: 2/22, 2/28, 2/29, 3/2, 3/9, 3/16, 3/22, 3/24, 3/27, 3/28
- Los Angeles LAX (Feb. 12 – March 28): Cut selected dates to only 1 daily, from 3X daily
- Manchester (Feb. 24 – March 28): Select dates cut
- Melbourne (Feb. 10 – March 28): Cut selected dates to only 1 daily, from 3X daily
- Milan MXP: Cut until April 28
- Newark EWR (Feb. 18 – March 28): Cut, apart from a few dates
- Perth (March 1 – March 28): Select dates cut
- Rome: Cut until April 27
- Sydney (Feb. 18 – March 28): Cuts to select dates
- Tel Aviv (March 1 – 28): Cut from 7X weekly to 3X weekly, only J/W/Y class available
- Toronto (March 1 – 28): Cut from 10X weekly to 7X weekly, except select dates
- Vancouver – New York JFK (Feb. 18 – March 27): Cut
- Washington DC IAD (Feb. 14 – March 28): Cut, apart from a few dates
Given the reduced passenger demand and excess capacity, Cathay Pacific has also asked staff to voluntarily take 3 weeks of unpaid leave sometime between March 1 and June 30, 2020.
Are you impacted by Cathay Pacific's flight cuts?
Coronavirus Travel Waiver Policies
Cathay Pacific Free WiFi in First Class
Kid's Cathay Pacific First Class Review (Video) HKG-JFK
Cathay Pacific vs. EVA Business Class: Which is Better?
If you enjoyed this, join 200,000+ readers: follow TravelSort on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be alerted to new posts.
Subscribe to TravelSort on YouTube and TravelSort on Instagram for travel inspiration.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits