London Heathrow to London: what are the best ways to get to London from LHR? Fortunately there are quite a few choices, ranging from the fast Heathrow Express to complimentary chauffeur airport transfers if you're flying certain airlines in business or first class or staying at select London luxury hotels.
1. Heathrow Express + Free Upgrade to Business First Through 9/30/14
With a 15 minute ride from Terminals 1, 2 and 3, and a few minutes more from Terminal 4 and Terminal 5, the Heathrow Express is the fastest way to get between London Heathrow and Paddington Station, which may or may not be close to where you want to go in London. Check to see how far your London destination is from London Paddington if you're considering the Heathrow Express.
The Heathrow Express is pricier than the subway, but less than what you'd pay for a taxi or car service (unless you're getting a complimentary chauffeured airport transfer via your airline or hotel–see below) and is more reliable and a more pleasant experience than the subway.
Through the end of September, you can also receive a free upgrade to Business First for the regular Express ticket price. Now, Business First is hardly a big deal on a journey this short, but it's less crowded so you may as well take advantage of it if you were planning to take the Heathrow Express anyway, within 3 months of the date you buy your ticket. Don't forget to enter your British Airways Executive Club number to see the promotion and to earn some Avios on your Heathrow Express booking.
Cost: 21 GBP one way, 34 GBP roundtrip
Time: 15-20 minutes; non-stop trains run every 15 minutes
2. Subway (Underground)
The subway, or London Underground (the Tube) is both the cheapest option and may be the most efficient, depending on where you need to go in London. It will take about an hour (barring any interruptions–and be sure to allow *plenty* of time when catching the Tube to London Heathrow–I've experienced disruptions a couple times that significantly delayed my arrival at London Heathrow. Note that London Heathrow has three subway stations, one that serves Terminals 1, 2 and 3, which is connected to those terminals by underground walkways, and one each in the basements of Terminal 4 and Terminal 5. You'll be on the Piccadilly Line, so this is the best bet if you need to go somewhere in London very close to a Piccadilly Line station, so that you don't have to transfer lines with your luggage.
Cost: 5.70 GBP one way
Time: About 1 hour; trains run every 10 minutes
3. Complimentary Chauffeur Service if Flying Select Airlines Business Class or First Class
Several airlines offer complimentary chauffeur service to and from London Heathrow, if flying Business Class or First Class:
- Etihad Chauffeur: Up to 100 miles to/from London Heathrow (no transfer between airport terminals) when flying Etihad First Class or Etihad Business Class
- Emirates Chauffeur: Within a 70 mile radius of London Heathrow when flying Emirates First Class or Emirates Business Class
- Qantas Chauffeur: Paid tickets only for travelers in First Class or Business Class between Sydney or Melbourne in London; within a 70 mile radius of London Heathrow
- Virgin Atlantic: Upper Class paid tickets only in J, D, C or I fare classes; other booking classes and award tickets not eligible for complimentary Upper Class Chauffeur.
4. Complimentary Chauffeur Service if Staying at Select London Luxury Hotels
Even if you're not flying one of the above airlines in business or first class, you could stay at a London luxury hotel that offers complimentary chauffeur service. These are available when booking these hotels as a TravelSort Client, with Virtuoso benefits:
- Bulgari Hotel Residences Special Promotion: Complimentary roundtrip airport transfers in a Mercedes-Benz S-Class or Viano for all guests traveling from the U.S. or Canada on new bookings for stays through December 31, 2014
- The Ritz London: Complimentary one-way private airport transfer for two guests with luggage
- Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences: Complimentary one-way private airport transfer to airport for bookings of 3 or more nights in 2014, and 4 or more nights in 2015
- The Egerton House Hotel: Complimentary one-way private airport transfer for suite bookings of 3 or more nights
- The Milestone Hotel: Complimentary one-way airport transfer from London Heathrow for suite bookings of 3 or more nights or apartment bookings of 7 or more nights
- The Goring: Complimentary one-way airport transfer for a stay in Most Splendid Silk Room, Most Splendid Balcony Room and Belgravia Suite; complimentary two-way airport transfer for a stay in the Royal Suite
5. GetTaxi, Uber
You can pre-book (up to 2 weeks in advance) a Black Cab to pick you up at London Heathrow with GetTaxi. If you haven't signed up yet, be sure to get $20 in free ride credit either by having a friend invite you, or with my invite code: GTVNXFP.
Uber is another option, but you won't be able to pre-book it.
What do you think is the best way to get from London Heathrow to London?
Need Award Booking Help? Our fee is as low as $75 per ticket if you book your hotel through us.
Become a TravelSort Client and Book Your Luxury Hotel with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Amenities!