A 70K United Explorer Visa Bonus Offer is being targeted to some MileagePlus members. Check your email; we received this offer earlier today. Here are the offer details:
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $3000 on the card within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after spending a total of $6000 within the first 6 months of account opening
- Global Entry: Receive a refund in the form of a statement credit for the $100 Global Entry application fee every 4 years (or alternatively, $85 for the TSA PreCheck application fee)
- Free checked bag for the primary Cardmember and one traveling companion on the same United or United Express reservation. The primary card member must include his/her MileagePlus number in the reservation and use the United Explorer card to purchase the ticket(s). Allow 2 weeks after account opening for your first free standard checked bag to be available on eligible United reservations.
- Priority boarding for primary Cardmember and companions traveling on the same reservation, United and United Express flights only.
- 2 complimentary United Club passes upon account opening and every 12 months, as long as the account remains open
- $0 annual fee the first year, then $95 annual fee
- Signup bonus not available to a) current Cardmembers or b) previous Cardmembers who received a signup bonus within the past 24 months
- Limited time offer: offer ends 1/13/21
This 70K offer may also be available if you have the United app and log in. Unfortunately it's not a prequalified offer, which means that you must be under Chase 5/24 (fewer than 5 personal credit applications over the past 24 months) to be eligible.
Using MileagePlus Miles
Given the uncertainty around when many international borders will be open to Americans again, most of our clients are planning domestic travel. A silver lining to the sharply reduced travel demand is that certain routes that used to rarely have any Saver awards now have some availability, for example the nonstop Newark EWR to Honolulu HNL, Continental's old route. The Everyday award is 95,000 miles, but if you can snag a Saver award, it's just 50,000 miles, which for many dates will equate to 2 cents per mile value. That's low if you're only earning one mile per dollar spent, but if eligible for the signup bonus, the 70,000 bonus miles more than cover that one way award, and you could transfer 30,000 Ultimate Rewards points to MileagePlus to cover the return, assuming you can also find Saver award availability.
If eligible, do you plan to apply for the 70K United Explorer card?
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits