The AMEX Business Gold Rewards Card 75,000 points offer is again available, until January 28, 2013. You must spend $10,000 in 4 months to get the bonus. Here are the key offer terms:
- 75,000 Membership Rewards bonus points for spending $10,000 in 4 months
- Offer Bonus ID A3P6
- Apply by January 28, 2013
- "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card account within the last 12 months"
- No annual fee the first year, then $175
Category Bonus Earning:
- 3X points on airfare purchased directly with airlines
- 2X points on purchases in the U.S. of gas at stand-alone gas stations; online, TV and radio advertising; shipping
- All other categories earn 1 point per $1, as do purchases after exceeding $100,000 spend on the card in each bonus category
How Often Does AMEX Run These 75,000 Bonus Points Offers?
In the past year, fairly often actually, although of course as with investing, history doesn't guarantee the same future pattern. There were prior AMEX Business Gold Rewards card offers on 10/24/12, 9/12/12, and 8/8/12-8/9/12.
How Does This Offer Compare to Previous AMEX Business Gold Rewards 75,000 Points Offers?
The 75,000 point public offers for the AMEX Business Gold Rewards card are typically for $10,000 spend, although you may receive a lower spend requirement in the mail as a targeted offer, so be on the lookout for that.
I'm not eligible for the current offer since I've had an older version of this card within the past 12 months, and that was via a targeted offer for spending just $2000. Don't expect anything like that low minimum spend for a public offer for this AMEX business card, though.
I Don't Have a Business; Can I Still Apply?
This is a small business card, so if you do anything that is a small business, such as selling books or other goods on Amazon, eBay or etsy, renting our property, consulting, etc., you have a good chance of qualifying. You can apply as a sole proprietor with your social security number. You do not need to have revenue yet, you can legitimately be planning a business and want to have a business card to separate business related expenses even in the planning stage. Do expect to be asked about your business though, and of course answer questions truthfully.
I Recently Got This Card with a Lower Bonus; Can I Switch to the 75,000 Offer?
Very unlikely, although you can call and ask. American Express has become very reluctant to match or switch offers.
I Had the AMEX Business Gold Rewards Card Within the Last Year; Can I Get the Bonus Again?
No: per the terms: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card account within the last 12 months.
What if I Have a Personal AMEX Premier Gold Rewards or Platinum Card, Can I Get This Offer?
Yes! Having personal Platinum, Gold or Green AMEX cards does not prevent you from getting a bonus on an AMEX business card.
Should I Apply for Other Credit Cards at the Same Time?
If you can handle the high spend requirement, yes. For folks without a decent sized business, $10,000, even with front loading spend, can be significant, so don't over extend yourself. But if spend isn't an issue, it's a good idea to apply for several cards at once (often called an "app-o-rama") every 3-4 months or so, because when applying at the same time, other issuers won't see the other credit inquiries and you may even get some merged credit inquiries, reducing your total number of hard pulls which is better for your credit score.
What Are the Best Ways to Meet the $10,000 Minimum Spend?
With AMEX, I do NOT
recommend trying to meet minimum spend with Amazon Payments
, because that carries a significant risk of an AMEX Financial Review, which from what I've heard is a pain to deal with. With this card, I'd recommend:
- Airline spend, since it gets 3X points. See if you can frontload any airline spend within those first 4 months
- Tuition or other large payments. If you're unfortunate enough to have to pay private school tuition for yourself or any kids and the school accepts AMEX, aim to put it on your card. Same if you or any kids have to pay for test preparation courses, summer camp, or other extracurricular or sports lessons.
- Vanilla Reload cards from CVS, if you're fortunate enough to have them in your area and you've already exhausted the $1500 maximum on your Chase Freedom (which gets 5X January-March 2013 at drugstores)
- AMEX gift cards: currently when ordering online you can use EMS20121 to order them without the purchase fees, although do note you'll still have to pay for shipping. Still, it can be a good way to get a bunch of smaller denomination AMEX gift cards if you want to use them as gifts to friends, family or even, with their permission, as payment to babysitters, housekeepers, etc.
What are the best partners to transfer AMEX Membership Rewards points to?
Ever since the United-Continental merger, you can't transfer points to United MileagePlus. You can transfer to Air Canada's Aeroplan program to book Star Alliance awards, but in most cases it's not a good option due to the post-devaluation award chart and fuel surcharges on most partners.
You can also transfer to British Airways Avios, and if you do that, try to take advantage of a transfer bonus. There was recently a 30% transfer bonus that has now ended, and in the past there have been 40% and 50% transfer bonuses from Membership Rewards to Avios.
How Many AMEX Cards and AMEX Bonuses Can You Get?
Singapore Airlines Suites Award Tips and FAQ