Etihad Airways is Increasing Its Pet Fee from $200 to $1500 One Way as of October 15, 2022. Until that date, the old fee of $200 applies. The new $1500 fee applies whether the pet carrier is under the seat or on an extra seat, and is in addition to the extra seat cost.
Here are the rules, followed by an FAQ:
- Passengers wanting to fly with their pet must submit Etihad's Pet Booking Form at least 7 days in advance of flying
- All required documents must be emailed at least 72 hours in advance of the flight
- When flying to Abu Dhabi, you must apply for a pet release permit and complete a UAE Health Certificate
What are the Fees for Etihad First Class and Etihad Business Class Passengers with a Pet?
The $1500 one way pet fee is the same, but you must also purchase an additional seat, as the pet must be in its carrier on an additional seat; they are not permitted under your seat.
What are the Carrier Dimension and Pet Requirements?
Carriers may not exceed 40 (L) x 40 (W) x 22 (H) cm to fit under an Economy class seat, and may not exceed 50 (L) x 43 (W) x 50 (H) cm if on an adjacent seat.
The cat or dog must be at least 16 weeks old and weigh no more than 8 kg. (17.7 lbs.) including the carrier.
What About Emotional Support or Psychiatric Support Dogs?
Etihad does not permit emotional support dogs except when carried as pets in carriers, paying the applicable $1500 fee (from 10/15/22). A trained psychiatric support dog is only permitted on direct flights from the U.S., and will not be permitted in the cabin if it shows any form of disruptive behavior. For all flights a Live Animals On Board Form must be completed, and on flights from the U.S. a U.S. DOT Service Animal Transportation Form and U.S. DOT Service Animal Relief Attestation Form must be completed.
Are There Any Dog Breeds Not Permitted?
Yes, the following breeds are not permitted on any Etihad aircraft:
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog
- American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog
- American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog
- American Bully
- Brazilian Mastiff (Fila Brasiliero)
- Argentinian Mastiff (Dogo Argentino)
- Any Mastiff or Hybrid
- Japanese Tosa or hybrid
- Rottweilers breed or hybrid
- Doberman Pinschers
- Canario Presa
- Any mixed breed of above breeds of dog or their hybrid
Are There Country Restrictions?
Yes; because of government-imposed restrictions, passengers aren't permitted to travel with a pet on board on the following routes:
Flying to or from:
- India (Ahmedabad and Trivandrum)
- South Africa
- UK (London)
- UK (Manchester)
- US (see the CDC's Importing a Dog Into the United States)
Become a TravelSort Client and Book 5-Star Hotels with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner Benefits